Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 27, 7/19 -- PEARL JAM DAY!

Jarad and Hunter were up early to get to Wrigley Field where Pearl Jam is playing.  There are tshirts and other fan desirables for sale two days before the show.  The lead singer Eddie Vedder is originally from Chicago, so this concert is big. 
It was 102F today here in Chicago.  The guys were pretty wiped out just from standing in line in the sun for three hours.  We went across the street from our hotel to the Hard Rock for lunch and cold air. 
 
I must be getting old because I only knew about half the groups the memorabilia on display were from!  The guys left again about 4:30 after a very short cool down, this time for the concert. Which didn't start 'til 7:30 -- but, it's a fan thing. 
I met my friend Karyn, who brought me out to a delicious dinner at Water Tower Place.  Back in 1977 I visited here with Len and my folks and remembered the dramatic black marble waterfall between the main escalators.  I was going to take a picture on the way out, but we chatted so long we closed the place down!

From there went to the 24 hour Rock and Roll McDonald's (pictured above in the daylight and also across the street from our hotel). There was a thunderstorm going on that finally stopped.  I walked Karyn to the subway stop around 1 am. There were still lots of people on the streets, so I felt comfortable walking the 3 blocks back to the hotel.  More than NY, Chicago is the city that never sleeps!

The Pearl Jam concert had to shut down because of the storm. They resumed around 11:30 and ended around 2:30. The guys are now waiting in a crowd for the subway to get back.  Jarad can tell more about the show in another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment