Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 22! Sand Dunes National Park!

Today we journeyed to the amazing Sand Dunes National Park in south central Colorado!  What an incredible experience!  Nestled within the 14,000' Sangre de Cristo Mountains, the sand dunes are an unbelievable sight.  The sand dunes themselves are the largest in North America, with crests reaching almost 800'! 

At the entrance to the dunes I played the bagpipes!  My Mom and I call it blitzpiping.  We've done it over 20 times in the National Parks so far and have it down to a science:  1) Scout the area for people or wildlife.  2)  Have video, Iphone, and regular cameras ready.  3)  Mom takes still shots while I tune up.  4)  Play "Amazing Grace" through two times.  5)  Bow for applause of the people it has attracted!   

It was difficult to comprehend the scale of the dunes...  People on them looked like SPECKS on a  massive ant-hill!

While the weather was still beautiful (80 degrees) we decided to take a hike!  It started out nicely, but suddenly the wind picked up intensely!  Sand began whipping across the open land, stinging our legs like thousands of needles!  Sue decided to head back after a cresting the first dune (which was incredibly wise!).  But I decided to tread on and hike a chunk of the massive sand dunes!

Here is the view from half way up my hike!

While I was hiking I found this awesome area of sand where it had rained the day before and the wind had blow the dry sand off.  The beautiful patterns below were revealed.
Coming down from the hike was much more fun, and took significantly less time!  Here's a photo I tried to take showing where I had run down a massive dune!
And here is a picture of me emptying out my shoe after all the hiking!




We chose to leave the park at a very good time... As we were leaving a massive thunder storm came barreling over the mountains and began dumping water and flashing lightning on the dunes!  But after getting out of the rain, we got stuck in the middle of a sand storm! 



We made it to Salida for the night.  Still major thunderstorms and rain around us.  Had Mexican for dinner and tonight have been catching up on everything for the upcoming drive east...



Goodnight!
-JW & SW




No comments:

Post a Comment