Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 18, (7.10.11)

"How often at night, where the heavens are bright
with the light of the glittering stars,
have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed,
if their glory exceeds that of ours..."


Well, today I've decided that I want to move out here and buy a ranch!.. I really do.

Not only is everything here so beautiful, but I am growing quite fond of the culture as well.  It is much more laid back here, away from the hustle and bustle of city-life, and their is a much greater overall appreciation of nature amongst the people.   And it seems that everywhere we go there are countless new adventures waiting for us around each and every corner... and I don't want to miss a single one!

Anyways, today we went for a fantastic Mule ride along the rim of the Grand Canyon.  It was gorgeous!  And I have a strange feeling that I must have been a cowboy in a past lifetime because whenever I get on a horse/mule, I feel at home... and riding comes naturally!

Sue's mule was named Willow, and I had a beautiful mule named Sheila.  Here's a picture of us at the halfway point!
We rode to an incredible lookout point where the view was 18 miles across the canyon, and a sheer mile drop below us!
We also saw many animals along the trail!  There were Elk, California Condors, Deer, and even Rabbits (to name a few).  Here's a picture of one of the (five) Condors we saw!

After we got back, we were sore and worn out from the long journey!  We ate a quick supper, and then Sue fell asleep very early!  I went for a walk at dusk and got a glimpse of some more wildlife!

What a wonderful place this is!  I am going to miss it greatly when we leave tomorrow.  But there are more sights to be seen, and now I'll just have to come back here someday soon I suppose!  I desperately want to hike down into the canyon and visit a place called Rainbow Falls...  I've heard it is magnificent!

Well, we have to wake up early tomorrow and head for Mesa Verde National Park!

Hopefully we will have reception there to check back in!

Until then, goodnight!
-JW

No comments:

Post a Comment